Minutes – January 25, 2013

Biomedical Physiology and Kinesiology Student Association

Meeting Minutes

Friday, January 25, 2013

Opening

The meeting of the BPKSA was called to order at 1:30pm on Friday, January 25, 2013 in the BPK Seminar Room by Steven.

In attendance

  • Steven, Jason, Matt, Lauryn, Megan, Dora, Megan, Debbie, Lucy, Joyce, Sam, Shaila, Kirstin, Edward, Alex, Leandra, Darleen, Jake

Open Issues

  • Career Event
    • Was a huge success- a big thank you to everyone who stepped up and helped out!
    • Dr. Tibbits said thank you and great work!
    • We received all the grants we applied for
    • What went well:
      • Set-up was efficient; table arrangement for the exhibitors worked well
      • Breakout sessions went smoothly- great speakers with lots of time for questions
      • the number of emails that were sent out to advertise the event
    • What to improve for next year:
      • having 2 speakers per session to ensure they each have enough time to spea
      • the OT room was a bit crowded; should have everything set up in the classrooms before bringing the speakers/students down
      • decide which classrooms the sessions will be in ahead of time so students know what room to go to when they are signing up for the breakout sessions
      • inside the programs make sure the speaker’s occupation is bolded and clear
      • having two bench-based labs to tour wasn’t as exciting as having more hands on labs would have been
      • should discuss which labs we want before hand
      • have someone taking pictures
      • ask how many credits students have completed when they sign up online so it’s easier for us to see what years the students who are attending are in
    • Darleen was wondering if January was the best month to hold it as it is a busy month for Co-op with NSERC applications and Summer Co-op preparations
      • having it early in the semester seems best as it keeps attendance up by avoiding midterm season
      • it doesn’t necessarily need to coincide with Geek Week but we liked not having it the last week of Januar
      • Wednesday was a good night- Tony was understanding and let out the Biomechanics students early
    • Joyce will write a summary of the event to put in the BPK Monthly Newsletter
    • Need to send out thank you notes
    • Dr. Tibbits would like to attend one of our meetings soon; Lucy will email him to set up a date
  • Kin Cup
    • Sidney sent a request in to the gym to book it for the night of the 22nd and is still waiting to hear back
    • where to get the dodgeballs from?
  • Faculty Meeting
    • they are re-designing the list on the BPK website that describes what you are able to do after graduating with a Kinesiology degree
    • Joyce will email out the current list of action statements and if we have any to add let her know
  • Clothing Order
    • Sam and Kirstin have someone working on a brain image, similar to the heart one, and will hopefully have a sketch to show us next Friday
    • Designs we like so far: zip-ups with the Vitruvian man on the front as a small crest, sweatshirts with the Vitruvian man on the back and a small SFU logo on the front, EKG down the leg of the sweatpants
    • 3 colour options: red, navy, charcoal (only navy and charcoal for the sweats)
    • if we are doing a small Vitruvian man on the front it may be possible to get it embroidered on; this depends on the price
    • Steven will have a list of the prices for next Friday so we can make the final decision on the articles offered and what to print on them
  • Year End Party
    • hope to have it at Ilia and are aiming for Thursday, March 28th (the day before the Easter Long Weekend again)
    • want to have the questionnaire/quiz again
  • Kin Games
    • Leandra will be sending out emails soon about next year’s Kin Games
    • in March a Captain’s Meeting will be held where they will decide on a date/theme (it is usually the 3rd weekend of March and next year it’s being held at McMaster)
    • 31 schools and over 750 Kin students attend (UBC and Douglas are going next year)
    • BPK undergrads only
  • Motions
    • Steven McGee moved to reimburse Loryn Bohne up to $7.00 from core for the Timbits and it was unanimously approved

Adjournment

Meeting was adjourned at 2:20pm by Steven. The next meeting will be Friday, February 1, 2013 in the BPK Seminar Room at 1:30pm.

Leave a comment!