Minutes – January 29, 2010
Biomedical Physiology and Kinesiology Student Association
January 29th, 2010
- The regular meeting of the BPKSA was called to order at 9:35 on January 29th, 2010 in the Kinesiology Seminar Room by John Abreu-Lanza.
- John, Lauren, Blaine, Marissa, Matt, Brent, Darleen, Ernest
Approval of Agenda
- The agenda was unanimously approved as distributed.
Approval of Minutes
- The minutes of the previous meeting were unanimously approved as distributed.
- Overview of Careers in Kinesiology Event
- More people are needed to help with registration for next year
- An assembly line take on the different registration tasks may be an option for upcoming years
- Pre-registration through Simplicity/co-op office works well to get an idea of the number of committed students
- Another possible idea for early registration: Registration board outside co-op office
- Benefit of early registration: lower fee ($2.00), possible entrance into a prize draw?
- Exhibitors and students should have separate registration times for next year
- Rope off the atrium?
- Break-out Session
- Break-out sessions were unbalanced this year without a cap in place
- To balance the sessions in upcoming years: breakout sessions should either be selected at the event, with a cap on the number of students allowed in each room, or in the co-op office with the help of an excel spreadsheet
- Matt can help set up a template on excel for registration
- At event: break-out session registration by career, as opposed to time slot
- The amount of food ordered was perfect and the quality was good
- Next year: Dinner is not an option, every student pays the fee of $2.00 if preregistered or $3.00 if they register at the event
- Possibly contain food in one room in the future to eliminate the need for volunteers guarding the tables
- Presenter and student food should be separated in the future and more water is needed for the presenters
- Lab Tours
- Three lab groups were sent out this year
- Students registered for the lab tours were stuck in the registration line and were unable to leave at the scheduled start time
- The groups sent out were uneven (20, 15, 10) because of the registration lines
- Preregister for lab tours next year to eliminate time spent in registration line
- We will continue overview at next week’s meeting
- Blaine’s Update on Forum Meeting:
- CFS Case
- No update
- There is $18 000 in grant money for all the DSUs this semester (approximately $418 per DSU, although funding depends on the size of the DSU)
- On the Wednesday meeting the possibility of moving money around to provide more funding will be examined
- Core funding (guaranteed) vs. Grant funding(not guaranteed, but a potentially larger sum) for the BPKSA?
- Members agree on core funding
- Roll over of core funding is potentially going to be removed
- Referendum to student population to increase student fees by $3.00?
- Members agree on allowing the referendum
- Club Night
- Location: Ceileigh’s
- They will take care of printing the tickets
- Price is 10 (15 last year?)
- Free domestic beer
- No line until X time
- Potential Date: March 6 (too soon after Olympic group)
- March 13 is chosen as date for club night
- March 20 (too late)
- John will message his friend at Ceileigh’s
- Clothing will be discussed next meeting
- Meeting was adjourned at 10:22am by John Abreu-Lanza. The next meeting will be at 9:30am on February 5th, 2010 in the Kinesiology Seminar Room.