Minutes – January 8, 2010

Biomedical Physiology and Kinesiology Student Association

Meeting Minutes

January 8th, 2010

Opening

  • The regular meeting of the BPKSA was called to order at 12:30pm on January 8th, 2010 in the Kinesiology Seminar Room by John Abreu-Lanza.

In attendance

  • John, Lauren, Torny, Lauren, Charlotte, Brent, Blaine, Matt, Sandra, Marissa and Mrinalini.

Approval of Agenda

  • The agenda was unanimously approved as distributed.

Approval of Minutes

  • The minutes of the previous meeting were unanimously approved as distributed.

Open Issues

  • Roger Takahashi
    • John needs the questions in ASAP
      • E-mail him with you list as soon as you can please
    • Jersey
      • $145.60 After taxes
      • Can exchange it for another size after if needed
      • Gift certificate
      • Roger offered to sign it
        • Need to hear from us by the 15th
      • Size: L
        • If it’s signed, size shouldn’t be an issue
      • We will go with this option
    • Brent will find out how we are supposed to pay for it
      • Motion to spend up to$ 150 on Jersey by Blaine
      • Second by John
      • All in favour. Up to $150 will be used from our funds to pay for the signed Jersey that we will raffle off as a door prize at the event
    • MC
      • An MC for the event has not been discussed at this point
      • Brent will look into it and report back next week
    • We will have people planted in the audience to ask questions from our list if it slows down
    • Thank you gift for Roger Takahashi
      • We will not have time to give him something out of our clothing order
      • Could give him something from the bookstore
      • We could get a custom order of BPK clothing made for him
      • Please take a look around the book store this week and we will discuss our options at the next meeting
    • Marketing
      • Posters should be up everywhere
      • Brent to get more before clubs days
  • Careers in Kin
    • Brent has a list of classes for this term
      • At the end of the meeting sign up for the classes you can make it to
    • We need volunteers for the event to help with sign in, food, and 1-2 people in each presentation room
      • Send John an e-mail if you are interested
    • Food: We have to go through the SFSS
    • Debrief notes:
      • Didn’t like the pizza last year, however, it is a cheaper option
    • Catering menu online
      • We need to have it in to the SFSS as soon as possible
    • We will have a separate room again for the presenters to eat
    • Speaker Gifts:
      • Clothing
        •  will have order form ready by then
    • Draw prizes:
      • Clothing vouchers?
      • Commercial Recruiters will most likely bring stuff
  • Clubs days: Next week
    • Table 106 on Tuesday and Wednesday
    • We need people to set up, tear down and man the table
      • E-mail John when you can come by and hang out
    • What will the display look like?
      • Bed sheet black table cloth
      • Printed out signs for BPKSA
      • Will have the same kind of hand outs on the table
    • Be sure to mention that we are going through growing pains with the name change
    • Vetoed Vertical jump test this term due to space issues
    • Grip Test?
      • Brent will talk to Craig Asmundson
      • Prizes: Strongest male and female
      • $20 clothing voucher
    • John has a white board in his car that we can use to post strength totals
    • Food: Still have one box of granola bars
      • Buy one more box and a flat of body water
  • Calendar
    • 3 events for this semester
      • Club night
      • Clothing Sale
    • Don’t think we can properly run a clothing sale until later in this semester
      • Ideally we should start handing out clothing order forms at the end of January or early February
      • Hand out forms at the Careers in Kin night
    • YEP
  • Clothing
    • John has contacted the people he used in the summer for the summer camps to get a pre-unit price estimate based on our numbers from last year’s sale
      • Offered a better per unit price then the person we went through last year
      • They do art printing and embroidery
      • It is a local and small operation
    • Jackie is working on the clothing designs
      • Changing the back and front designs to make everything consistent with what we have used in the past
      •  She will be charging $12 an hour for graphic design
  • Club Night
    • Was not very successful last year although we did make $300
    • Location
      • Gossip?
      • Do not want to go there again
      • Kayley’s
        • Bigger and more sociable
        • Bar/Club
        • Music is more of a mix to suit every ones taste
        • John has a contact here through the football team
    • Date
      • Do we want to do it before or after the Olympics?
      • After is probably better as it will give us more time to plan and most midterms will be planned for just before or just after the break
      • We will plan for the 1st or 2nd weekend in March
      • John will check for a Friday or Saturday
    • Tickets can be sold at the clothing pick up
  • Year End Party
    • Planning for the weekend directly after exams are over
      • April 30th or May 1st
    • Check out the new lounge on campus
  • Website
    • Jackie has agreed to put it together for a flat rate of $150
    • It will be comparable to the Psychology Student Union’s website
    • It will ideally be up and running by the summer term
  • Banner
    • The banner took Jackie 45 minutes to complete
      • At $12/hour the graphic design for the banner will cost us $9
    • Document Solutions can print our banner on a 2×12 scrim vinyl banner with three metal grommets on the top and bottom.
      • Cost will be $230 to get it done
      • John motioned to spend $230 to get our banner printed
        • Seconded by Torny
        • All in favour. We will take $230 out of our funds to pay for the banner to be printed
  • Miscellaneous
    • Mechatronics would still like to get together and run a joint event
      • John will be meeting with the club president for coffee
    • Communications common room
      • John is still waiting to hear back from the President
    • NSERC
      • Willing to help put together events that are career related
      • John will forward the e-mail he received from them to Brent so he can give it to Darleen
    • Leadership Summit
      • January 23rd for anyone who is interested
    • Food Safe Workshop
      • January 29th from 8:30am – 5:30pm
      • Torny is interested
        • John will forward her the e-mail to register
    • SUB
      • The SFSS wants consultations from each DSU
      • Blaine will bring the questions for us to answer to the next meeting
    • General Meeting
      • January 22nd, 2010 at 9:30am in the seminar room
      • Make sure to promote this at clubs days

Adjournment

  • Meeting was adjourned at 1:28pm by John Abreu-Lanza. The next meeting will be at 9:30am on January 15th, 2010 in the Kinesiology Seminar Room.

 

 

 

 

Leave a comment!