MINUTES – July 16, 2014
Biomedical Physiology and Kinesiology Students Association
Wednesday July 16, 2014
Meeting of the BPKSA was called to order at 12:30 by Shaila in AQ 5017
Shaila, Jake, Garveen, Mohammad, Matt, Sabrina, Deepak
àOpen Position for Forum Counselor
- Gina who is the Forum Counselor as of right now, will no longer be able to hold the position in the Fall
- Forum Counselor duties: attend the forum meetings every 2nd Wednesday and report back to the BPKSA about what happens at the meetings
- Therefore, if anyone wants to take this opportunity, let Shaila know
àBPK Kick off (Thursday, September 11, 2014)
- Drafted Schedule:
- 11:30 am – 1 pm: Tours of Peer Health, Strength and Conditioning, SFU Physio
àEach 20 minutes long, with a 5 minute transition time in between
- 1 pm – 1:30 pm: Barbeque
- 1:30 pm – 3 pm: Lab Tours
à Each 20 minutes long, with a 5 minute transition time in between
àProfessors who have volunteered for lab tours include: Damon Poburko (Molecular Cardiac Physiology), Victoria Claydon (Cardiovascular Physiology), Stephen Robinovitch (Mobility and Injury Prevention)
- Shaila is attending the BBQ meeting Friday Sabrina, so schedule will be confirmed after that
- Maybe have everyone meet at the Convocation Mall or outside 142 lecture hall to start the first tours?
- Matt will upload schedule to the Webpage
- The Kick off will be a free event
- No stamps this year, therefore we won’t be able to get students exempt from classes for the kickoff.
- Steven will talk to Craig about getting students out of 142 lab on Thursday
- But as of right now, students will just have to attend whatever part of the kick off that doesn’t conflict with their schedules
- BPK Week and SFU Week of Welcome
- Both will happen in the same week, in the first week of September
- SFU Week of Welcome: will have a separate table for this and need to draft a schedule
- BPK Week: BPK’s own separate welcome
àWill be giving away goodie bags containing pens, toques, pinks, water bottles (metal water bottle with the BPK Logo and an ECG Wave), advisor and co-op business cards
àGoodie bags only for first years and external transfers
àMonday to Friday, from 11-2 at the BPK Office
àCan also promote the Kick Off here
àPeer Mentorship Program
- Starting the calling campaign in the second week of August, from the 5th to the 8th
- Darleen will give us the phone numbers and we can do the phone calls on our own times
- Inform the new student about Welcome BBQ, Kick Off, BPK Week and SFU Week of Welcome
- Sabrina has a script drafted that she will give out to those making the phone calls
àWhat do I love about BPK Video?
- Sabrina is coming in next week’s meeting to do the “What I love about BPK” video
- Prepare something to say!
- NO LONGER HAPPENING!
àIDEA: Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship Association
- Want us to support them and to use our logo
- Will support us in return by passing down opportunities to us
- Need everyone to consent to this!
àBunzten Lake Hiking Trip: August 1, 2014
- Need to make a Facebook event for this that everyone is able to see!
- If you’ve done co-op, send a small write up about your experience to Josh (firstname.lastname@example.org) for the co-op experiences webpage
àLast BPKSA Meeting of the Summer
- Will be held on July 28, 2014, at Highland Pub!
The meeting was adjourned by Shaila at 1:20. The next meeting will take place Wednesday, July 23 2014 in AQ 5017.