Minutes – July 9, 2012

Biomedical Physiology and Kinesiology Student Association

Meeting Minutes

Monday, July 9, 2012

Opening

  • The meeting of the BPKSA was called to order at 12:39pm on Monday, July 9, 2012 in AQ 5037 by Brent.

In attendance

  • Brent, Shaila, Kirsten, Alex, Amanda, Sydney, Megan, Lisa

Approval of Agenda

  • The agenda was unanimously approved as distributed.

Approval of Minutes

  • The minutes of the previous meeting were unanimously approved as distributed.

Open Issues

  • UPC updates
    • James Wakeling’s special topics class is being offered for the fall. Peter Ruben has withdrawn his, instead concentrating on teaching 205 for the time-being.
    • Kin 110: The proposal calls for cutting HC and Surrey offerings to once a year each, and to add another 285 section to Burnaby to save three teaching allocations and one TA position for use elsewhere
    • Proposed changes of nutrition certificate:
      • Currently, there are 70-80 students in the certificate. About 30 are BPK majors.
      • The cert. requires 4-5 LD and 3-4 UD courses. It’s proposed to bring it more in-line with the new certificate in occupation ergonomics, which will be 1 LD and 7 UD, and to increase its value to our majors.
      • Proposed changes are:
        • Remove 111 and 212, as these are only offered to 50 students/year. Difficult to find people to teach this, and even harder to find people to update the courses.
        • Add 312 and 314 as required courses, and replace 311 with 313. 313 and 314 are not currently offered, and as such these changes depend on an upcoming faculty hiring being able to teach them. These are courses that were designed for the proposed Surrey program (Exercise and Nutrition in Health and Disease) which are Nutrition and the Life Cycle (313) and Nutrition and Chronic Disease (314).
        • Additionally, there has been some interest from faculty to teach 312 on campus, and with the shuffling of these courses it’s believed that 312 could be offered twice a year instead of just once.
  • Bank
    • Brent, Steven, and Amanda will set an appointment with Scotiabank to update signing authorities to Steven and Amanda as VP and Treasurer and allow any 2 of the 3 VP/Pres/Treasurer to authorize payment
  • Chief Hike
    • Move to another day since people can’t make it
  • Planning for fall
    • Clubs days – sell left over shirts and give out free stuff
    • Free stuff: buttons, keychains, pens, lanyards
    • Sell: clothing – t-shirts, long sleeves, hoodies, sweat pants, shorts, pint glass, yoga pants, water bottle

Adjournment

Meeting was adjourned at 1:25pm by Brent. The next meeting will be Monday, July 16, 2012 in AQ 5037 at 12:30pm

 

Leave a comment!