Minutes – June 4th, 2014
Biomedical Physiology and Kinesiology Students Association
Wednesday June 4, 2014
The meeting of the BPKSA was called to order at 12:30 pm by Shaila.
- Shaila, Garveen, Joyce, Lucas, Debbie, Darleen, Mohammad, Jake, Marcus, Sabrina, Leandra, Josh, Gina
- Shaila motioned to make Gina the BPK Forum Rep. Debbie seconded the motion. The motion was unanimously approved.
- Gina is the new BPK Forum Rep
- Post meeting time onto the BPKSA Website (Wednesdays @ 12:30 pm in AQ 5017)
Phone Calls to new BPK Students
- Appoint a group of BPKSA members to call new students coming into BPK in the fall and welcome them (avoid giving students academic advice; just be friendly and welcoming and refer them to the BPKSA)
- Phone calls will inform them of BPK Orientation/Kickoff, Terry Fox Run, BBQ, and dropping by BPK General Office in the first week of the term
- Appoint volunteers from BPKSA to sit at the BPK general office to welcome and greet the new students
- have new students come by BPK general office to check in and grab some things like a t-shirt, water bottle, pens, pins, food?
- have t shirts/water bottles say “I am BPK” or have an ECG wave on them?
- plastic or metal water bottles?
- Darleen has list of new students and will give us the list,
- expires in 48 hours, therefore must make phone calls within that time.
- Phone calls can also inform students of mentorship program and to sign up with the web survey.
- Make up schedule for first week volunteering (10-2 shifts?)
- Change orientation to Kick Off
- September 11, 2014
- Gina will give Peer Health a time between 11-12
- Lab Tours: Joyce will talk to labs for tours
- Steven hasn’t gotten an answer from Health and Conditioning, and Physio yet
- Bingo: Debbie will go on faculty website to find the professors to interview for the Bingo
- Include Neuroscience in orientation and pair students in Neuroscience with Neuroscience majors
Darleen: BPKSA photoshoot
- Take a group shot + individual shots of the BPKSA for BPK webpage
- Dress semi-professionally
- June 25 at 1:30 pm, outdoors
- Sabrina will be coordinating photoshoot, so contact her if you have any other ideas.
Peer Mentorship Program
- Provide this resource to new students to help them get more involved in the community, provide academic advice and counseling, provide advice for career goals, basically anything they need help on
- Can also provide an opportunity to promote many of the BPKSA events to first years
- Put up idea on BPK website to get the program started with a link to a web survey
- -web survey will ask questions to assess the student’s personality and that will help match them to an appropriate mentor
- -Josh will send out links of Health Science mentorship program websurvey to give us further ideas for questions to ask on the BPK websurvey and how to design it
- -also, brainstorm questions for the websurvey
- -Josh will also email out the logistics he has worked out for the program
- Must get all mentors defined before first week of July (so anyone wanting to volunteer let Darleen know)
- Science World: Science of Sport Exhibit
- -June 28, 2014
- -estimating 20 people to attend the event
- -Pricing: groups of more than 10=$17.25/person (may be able to subsidize $10 for each person with the grant money)
- -apply for grants for this event: need a $200 grant, for approx. 20 people
- -Science World hours: 10am-6pm for Saturday
- Hiking at Bunzten Lake
- -August 1, 2014
- -meet at 9:30 am, hike is approx. 5-6 hours
- -swimming at the lake after the hike
- -need drivers; gas money can be subsidized
- -Joyce will make the Facebook Event
- next week (Starts June 9)
- Debbie sent out schedules and will send out a revised schedule
- No more Tuesday shifts
- Steven sent out email for clothing event last night
The meeting was adjourned by Shaila at 1:20. The next meeting will take place Wednesday, June 11 2014 in AQ 5017.