Minutes – May 14, 2012
Biomedical Physiology and Kinesiology Student Association
Monday, May 14, 2012
- The meeting of the BPKSA was called to order at 12:30pm on Monday, May 14, 2012 in AQ 5038 by Brent.
- Brent, Steven, Kirstin, Shaila, Alex, Marissa, Jason, Amanda, Natasha
Approval of Agenda
- The agenda was unanimously approved as distributed.
Approval of Minutes
- The minutes of the previous meeting were unanimously approved as distributed.
- Summer Meeting Schedule
- Execs decided on weekly meetings
- Treasurer election
- Steven nominates Amanda to be Treasurer – unanimously elected
- UPC updates
- when course is new, it’s considered as a special topics course until 3 years later and it’s made into a course
- Kin 421 (special topics) proposed by James Wakeling (he also teachers 301)
- Muscle Biomechanics
- The mechanics and function of skeletal muscle, from the level of single muscle fibres to the whole muscle-tendon unit. Consideration will be given to force development, power output and efficiency of contractions, and the role of muscle structure, recruitment patterns and contractile conditions to the mechanical output of muscle. Theoretical, experimental and computations aspects will be covered.
- Prerequisites: 90 credits, KIN 201, and 205 or 208.
- Two hour lecture , one hour of seminar/lab per week
- Kin 422 (special topics) proposed by Peter Ruben
- Channel and transporter physiology
- This course will emphasize the structure/function relationships in ion channels and transporters, the role mutations in these proteins play in diseases, and the new wave of targeted drug design that is intended to differentiate between and among channel and transporter subtypes. Students in this class will read and discuss classic and current literature, debate controversial topics, investigate pharmaceutical interventions, and write potentially publishable mini-reviews and articles aimed at the lay press.
- Prerequisites: KIN 305 and 306.
- W-designation co-op
- Offer the third co-op term (KIN 451) as a W option.
- Must be graded (not pass/fail like other co-op terms) and will be treated accordingly.
- Will involve shorter reflective writings as well as a large work report and symposium presentation.
- The eventual goal is to offer multiple upper-division W classes, and then remove the W from 304.
- Supplier had a sale, so Brent ordered a few shirts because there were a couple sizes/colours that they were out of last time that would be useful to have around to sell during fall clubs days.
- Website is fairly complete, though needs photos to jazz it up a bit. In progress.
- In the future, averages out to about $70/yr if bought in chunks of 3 years at a time.
- In 3 years, someone will need to use their CC and get reimbursed to keep it going.
- May be a possibility to pay from Paypal, will look into the feasibility of creating a Paypal account that draws from the BPKSA bank account.
- Course descriptions – send in any descriptions to Brent and he’ll post it
- Writing contributions: make an account where all BPKSA exec can access and contribute
- YEP photos – anyone have any?
- Summer core
- Will have $750 this term. For comparison, we had $250 last summer.
- What to send core money on: social events, promo stuff for fall,
- whiteboard for promotion and advertisement
- social events (BBQ, dinner meeting, su
- promo stuff (buttons, stickets, ect) for clubs days
- prizes for future events
- Motion to reimburse Brent Flodin $220.90 for the purchase of blank t-shirts from the core fund was unanimously approved
- Motion to reimburse Brent Flodin $171.11 for the fees for website domain/hosting for the next 3 years from the core fund was unanimously approved
- Meeting was adjourned at 1:11pm by Brent. The next meeting will be Monday, May 28, 2012 in AQ 5038 at 12:30pm