Minutes – November 1, 2012
Biomedical Physiology and Kinesiology Student Association
Thursday, November 1, 2012
The meeting of the BPKSA was called to order at 1:30pm on Thursday, November 1, 2012 in the BPK Seminar Room by Steven.
- Steven, Sam, Shaila, Kirsten, Sidney, Lucy, Debbie, Sandy, Jason, Megan, Brent, Joyce
CCUPEKA Accreditation Team Visit
- two doctors from the CCUPEKA came and asked us some questions about our experiences at SFU
- Why did you choose the SFU Kin Program?
- a more science based program
- lab hours are offered with a lot of the Kin courses
- the faculty was approachable/friendly (they get involved with a lot of the social activities we put on)
- great sense of community
- Where do you see yourself after SFU?
- naturopath, dentist, doctor, physio,
- lots are undecided
- many came in thinking medicine but have changed their minds over the course of their degree
- research experiences in labs have given people ideas as well
- Are your lab groups too crowded? Do we have good access to IT things?
- having set labs of approx. 20ish people is good for getting more time with TAs/profs however this leads to lots of wait lists for classes (the trade off is worth it though)
- frequency of classes is sometimes bad
- library’s computer lab is good, the wifi can be problematic though everywhere on campus
- Are there any problems seeing your Academic Advisor?
- she has a lot of drop-in advising hours, but it depends on the time of the semester (busier around course selection)
- the website isn’t clear in some cases when it comes to trying to figure out what courses you need for your specific program
- What could be changed to strengthen the program?
- more research experiences for lower division students
Meeting was adjourned at 2:16pm by Steven. The next meeting will be Thursday, November 8, 2012 in the BPK Seminar Room at 1:30pm.