Minutes – November 8, 2011

Biomedical Physiology and Kinesiology Student Association

Meeting Minutes

Tuesday, November 8th, 2011

Opening

  • The meeting of the BPKSA was called to order at 8:35 on Tuesday, November 8, 2011 in the Kinesiology Seminar Room by Brent.

In attendance

  • Brent, Matthew, Lisa, Alistair, Lauren, Sydney

Approval of Agenda

  • The agenda was unanimously approved as distributed.

Approval of Minutes

  • The minutes of the previous meeting were unanimously approved as distributed.

 Open Issues

  • Roger Takahashi Event
    • Talking in classes
      • Brent: there’s a problem with the transparencies. They’re printed in landscape so we’ll need to slide the transparencies around the projector in order to properly project the slides.
      • Brent: Alistair is doing 140 and 306, Sydney is doing 305 with Matt on Wednesday.
      • Brent: 343, 310 covered by Ryan Dill
      • 110 (Burnaby) will be covered by Steven.
    • Sending Roger Questions
      • Brent: We need to send questions to the ksa email, to forward to Roger. He needs some guidance regarding the questions. We should send them ideally by Friday, before the work day (because Friday’s a holiday).
    • Raffle Tickets
      • Brent: We want to start selling raffle tickets soon, ideally we should try and book a table in the AQ to start selling.
      • Sydney: It might be a good idea to advertise the raffle tickets on Tuesday
      • Brent: Alright, on a side note, we’re going to raffling off a hockey stick, possibly signed by the whole team.
        • Matt: Do we know if it’s going to be signed by the whole team?
        • Brent: No, but we know that it’s going to be signed by a team member, possibly the entire team.
        • Brent: people will ask who is signing the stick
      • Sydney: how much did we sell tickets for last year?
        • Brent: $2 each or 3 tickets for $5.
        • Sydney: Where did the profits from raffle sales go to?
        • Brent: Last time we donated all of it to Canucks place. Depending on the sales we may choose to split the profits.
    • Alistair: Who’s in charge of deciding where we’re going to get our food?
      • Brent: I’m going to meet with Darlene to figure it out. If it’s SFSS they’ll bring the food. Though we may need volunteers as the food will be brought while Roger speaks. Attendees will need a nametag in order to get food.
  • Clothing Status
    • Brent: Shirts are here and we need to count the inventory to make sure we were sent everything. Brent has talked to Tabrez and the shirts will be back after printing within a week, approximately. We want a shirt for Roger Takahashi in his size. Approximately $3 – $3.50 a shirt for printing. After the exchange rate, the shirts came to $669.45.
    • Alistair: Talked to Tabrez about his status being treasurer. Waiting to meet Antonio.
    • Lauren: Did you say grads were going to take a percentage
      • Brent: Yes, we were originally going to spilt the sales from the faculty with the grads 60/40 but we’re going to take all of the faculty sales.
    • Brent: How do we want to issue the shirts
      • Lisa: I think we should do it the same as last time
      • Brent: Alright, we’ll book a table asap.
  • Constitution Manual Discussion
    • Brent: Going to send a copy of the constitution, we need to have 2 general meetings. At the meetings we’re not approved to make decisions on spendings.
      • Alistair: what is the appropriate process
      • Brent: We need a general meeting, of 7 members to quorum, with a certain number of executives. Anyone interested in attending the workshop with Antonio contact himself, Brent, to attend.
  • New Business
    • Alistair: Geek week & Careers in Kin, should we run something in the south concourse. I recall students in 2008 doing a taping session.
      • Brent: I was thinking we could do a mirror star trace, we might want to include an explanation. It’s fun and doesn’t take very long. Other ideas were: Grip test, postural sway (pen attached to a ruler), a bike ergometer (ECG) and the tape clinic.
      • Alistair: We could run a contest
      • Brent: Any suggestions, please send them in. It does go on for about a week
      • Alistair: It depends… we’re restricted with table space. We usually had 1 or 2 DSU’s during Geek Week. During the “All DSU’s Meeting” only 4 DSU’s showed up.
      • Brent: depending on the number of days we have allocated we can do say x amount of things. We’ll have at least one thing and
    • Alistair: Back to the All DSU meeting, we were going to do all DSU grant.
      • Brent: Will that hurt us in the future
      • Matt: Explains issues of DSU granting funding.
      • Alistair: we want to secure as many DSU’s to support the grant
      • Brent: I’m in support of the grant if it’s coming from the fall.
      • Alistair: I’ll go around and talk to other DSU’s for an All DSU meeting.
    • Matt: Meeting in the pub. As long as everyone is legal age.

Adjournment

  • Meeting was adjourned at 9:10am by Brent. The next meeting will be Tuesday, November 15, 2011 in the Kinesiology Seminar Room at 8:30am.

 

 

Leave a comment!