Minutes – October 28, 2009
Biomedical Physiology and Kinesiology Student Association
October 28th, 2009
- The regular meeting of the BPKSA was called to order at 12:31pm on October 28th, 2009 in TASC 2 7540 by John Abreu-Lanza.
- John, Lauren, Torny, Blaine, Brent, Lucia, Marissa, Sandra, Brett, and Darleen.
Approval of Agenda
- The agenda was unanimously approved as distributed.
Approval of Minutes
- The minutes of the previous meeting were unanimously approved as distributed.
- Kin Cup
- Thank you everyone for all of your help and support!!
- Comments and ideas for next year:
- Have markers to write names on water bottles. We had a lot of half full and full, but open water bottles left over at the end
- Please take any posters down that you see around campus so we don’t get charged for their removal.
- Reimburse John and Lucia for photocopying and snack for the kin cup that we had originally budgeted for.
- Voted to reimburse John and Lucia $7.84 each for a total of $15.68 for photocopying from our core account.
- All in favour, Passed
- Voted to reimburse John $6.72 for tape and supplies from our own account.
- All in favour, Passed
- Voted to reimburse John $45.00 for snacks from our own account as previously budgeted for.
- All in favour, Passed
- Fall Social
- Interested student unions are BASS and World Lit
- BASS wants a formal write up from us before agreeing to join us in the event
- Don’t think we have enough time to put a good event together for November
- Decided not to hold a fall social this year
- Careers in Kin
- Darleen: Suggested having a meeting with Brent and the Co-op Student, Tapoa, because it is a lot to cover in our short meeting time
- Brent will report back to us each meeting
- Co-op Student is making a mock up that can be displayed for the Roger Takahashi event
- Roger Takahashi has confirmed, but we cannot confirm a room and its size until January
- We will use IRMACS as a back up
- Tom Clayton is interested in doing the lab tours again this year
- Lab tours will either start before the breakout sessions or be an option for the first breakout session
- We hope to have a researcher and a grad student in each lab for the tours
- Darleen and Brent will meet with Tom Clayton this week to figure out some of the details
- Brent will bring feedback next week
- ASB Atrium and some rooms to be booked for Monday January 25th or Wednesday January 27th
- Geek Week committee doesn’t like us having 2 events in Geek week
- Would we be interested in having a joint Careers Night?
- Planning a joint Careers night at this point would not be possible due to the short amount of time
- If another DSU wants to piggy back off us and host one on the same night that would be okay
- May be able to consider it in the future
- Since we have only one evening event, it should be okay
- SFSS grant pitch: Blaine will write one up and hand it in to the SFSS
- Cheri is in charge of the budget
- Will be getting a gift for each of the speakers
- Co-op Student will be updating the KSA bulletin board with a new banner and back drop
- We would like a section on there of upcoming events and how to get involved.
- Speaker Contacts:
- Shawna Mann will come
- Cindy Lu offered to come – SFU Kin Grad
- Bev Taylor – Works until 6:30, but gave us 2 recommendations
- Nick Duran – Have not asked yet
- Erin K – Needs to know her schedule for January first
- Kelly Rushby – Has been contacted over Facebook, waiting for a reply
- Max Donelan’s wife – Has not been contacted yet, waiting to see if we need to
- Andrew Wong – Might be able to come. Needs to figure out his schedule first
- Julie Chow – Lauren will contact this week
- Mike Foster – Has not been contacted yet
- Nathan Taylor – Has not been contacted yet
- Darrek Hansen – Can help out, but cannot stay for the whole night
- Kelsey Green – Has not been contacted yet
- Bryna Carrier – Will talk to her this week
- Brian – OT Working in Kelowna GH – Will contact this week
- Sports psychologist: Gary Poole
- Darleen will contact him for us
- CIK is turning out to be the exact same as it was last year
- Not a bad thing, but do we want to hold it every year? Or should we think about holding it once every 2 years?
- We will conduct a survey after the event and discuss it then
- Welcome Back BBQ
- Great event and success this year
- Nothing new was suggested for next year
- Dodge ball tournament
- Interscience tournament planned for November
- Possibly on November 10th, but the time is not yet known
- General interest to take part is there
- Brent – UPC
- Course descriptions have been changed for some courses
- They are making it easier for Kin Minors to complete the program
- Have created new Academic Integrity Guidelines
- Going to have less distance classes available
- Meeting was adjourned at 1:18pm by John Abreu-Lanza. The next general meeting will be at 12:30pm on November 4th, 2009 in room.