Minutes – September 19, 2013
Biomedical Physiology and Kinesiology Student Association
Thursday, September 19, 2013
The meeting of the BPKSA was called to order at 1:33pm on Thursday, September 14, 2013 in AQ 4130 by Steven.
- Steven M., Sidney, Alex, Lucy, Kirstin, Jake, Gina, Mohammed, Jesse, Debbie, Avery, Joseph, Navo. Steven O.
- BPK Orientation Feedback
- 56 students turn out (12 of those attended both days)
- Michelle Kangro said thank you & the Faculty of Science was impressed
- lab tours were great
- Tell profs to have sign up sheet ready for volunteers for their lab
- It was a great way to expose first years to volunteer experiences
- (14 people signed up for strength and conditioning!)
- We should write big thank you to SFU REC, Peer Health, Strength & Conditioning, & SFU Physio
- 4 thank you cards – Sydney will buy them
- Be more strict for time frame (some presentations were too long)
- Advertise BPK Orientation to all ages (1st and 2nd year students, not only 1st year students)
- Advertise in second year science classes too
- Timing (11:30-1:30) was a good amount of time
- Maybe add goodie bags with snack & pen
- Add in a sport for students to play
- amazing race, scavenger hunt (so that we don’t have to book gym or field)
- Profs want us to move it one week back because they currently have grant applications but it is more convenient for us to do it in the second week of classes because the 3rd week of school is too close to assignments and midterms
- Next week is BPKSA Executive position Elections
- Please e-mail Steven if you are interested in nominating someone or yourself for a position.
- Descriptions of the following positions are in the BPK e-mail and will be in next week’s minutes.
- Positions: President, Vice-president, Secretary, Treasurer, Promotional Coordinator, SFSS Forum Rep, Departmental Committees Rep (Biomedical Physiology), Departmental Committees Rep (Kinesiology), External Relations Officer, First Year Rep.
- BCAK Kin Week
- BCAK wants to host kin week at SFU Oct. 21-26
- Possible convenient times: Wednesday and Thursday at 2:30
- BPKSA future events for the school year
- January – Careers in Kin
- February – Kin cup
- March – Research day
- April – Year end party
Meeting was adjourned at 2:23 pm by Steven. The next meeting will be at 1:30pm on Thursday, September 26, 2013 in AQ 4130.