Meeting Minutes – Jan 19 2015

Biomedical Physiology & Kinesiology Students Association  

Meeting Minutes

Opening:

The meeting of the BPKSA was called to order by Loryn at 12:30 pm in the BPK Conference Room.

In Attendance:

Loryn, Ashly, Josh, Sam, Ran, Matt, Garveen, Sabrina, Erina, Steven M, Darleen, Megan, Steven O, Deepak, Kirstin,

Open Issues

Fortius

-going to be doing baseline concussion testing and are in need of volunteers

-previous experience with motion capture can be as asset

-ideal for Kinesiology Masters student or a Biomedical Physiology or Biomechanics student

-Darleen will email out more information

-if you are interested, let Darleen know

 

Career Night

-Update from Sabrina: 

-swag bags that are to be given to the speakers are ready to go and done

-draw prizes for the raffle include: a notebook + a School of Kinesiology coffee mug, FIFA 2014 video games (XBOX and PS3), coffee tumbler + notebook, 3 gifts the exhibitors bring

-brochures will be printed out and ready for tomorrow

-Lots of people are coming out to the career event; Cheri would like us to give up $200 from core for more food

-Loryn motioned to give $200 for food from core.  Ashly seconded the motion.  The motion was unanimously approved.

-Darleen has raffle tickets for the people setting up and doing registration; name tags are in the storage

-will need raffle tickets and name tags at the registration table

-Loryn will put everything that is needed for the registration table in Darleen’s office,

therefore make sure to grab everything from here if you’re doing set up

-Execs can drop their stuff off in co-op office and seminar room

-Lab Tours

-Parham & Josh have volunteered as backup tour leaders if Shaila or Jake cannot make it

-Sabrina will get a list of lab tour attendees

-Erina has the maps done; make sure to post the maps appropriately tomorrow

-we will also be selling clothing at the event

-if you have any questions regarding anything, email Loryn at lbohne@sfu.ca

-EXECUTIVES: MAKE SURE TO WEAR YOUR BPK CLOTHING

Research Day

-will be held in March

-Matt Lloyd (Graduate Students Association President) has asked us if we are able to allocate $300 for the event

the GSA is also allocating $300 for food and drinks

-will be allocating $50 from core and $250 from the grant; Josh will come up with the grant proposal for this

-Loryn made a motion to allocate $300 to go towards Research Day.  Garveen seconded the motion.  The motion was unanimously approved  

Clothing

-Josh sent a link for the crew neck design to Loryn; will be American Apparel; classic style, grey in colour

-Sam will ask Ty to get in the design for the lungs as soon as possible

-this year, we will be ordering T-shirts, crewnecks, hoodies

Idea: instead of ordering in advance, have people fill out an order form and pay up front and then send the orders in

-we decided to cut out sweatpants this year and instead order dry fit shirts; Josh will look into dry fit shirts and get back to us next week

-If the order is given in before the reading break, we could possibly get the clothing delivered before finals

SUS meeting

-Deepak & Loryn attended the SUS meeting from last week and reported back on what was discussed at the meeting

-the meetings are open to everyone; in the future Loryn will send out email reminders

-meetings do happen biweekly; Wednesday nights at 6:30 pm

-they mainly discussed recruiting people, social events, having a Faculty of Science wide career night, doing a Science Journal

-also how to define the SUS and what they want it to do

-In the summer, they want to work on a mentorship program

-any questions regarding SUS, contact Deepak

Geek Week

-Geek Week is next week from Monday – Friday; Wednesday seems to work well for everyone to set up a table

-great opportunity to expose first years and undeclared science majors to BPK

-will also provide a good chance to recruit new BPKSA members

-we would be donating $30 from core, $270 from grant money

-money will be going towards food & t-shirts

-Loryn made the motion to allocate $30 from core and a $270 grant for Geek Week.  Steven seconded the motion.  The motion was unanimously approved.

-will have a force plate (height) and a star trace at the table

-Megan is in BPK 407 and will talk to Craig about the Star Trace

-Steven will deal with the force plate

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned by Loryn at 1:20 pm in the BPK Conference Room.  The next meeting of the BPKSA will be held on Monday, January 26, 2015 in the BPK Conference Room at 12:30 pm.

Leave a comment!