Minutes – June 7, 2013

 

Biomedical Physiology and Kinesiology Student Association

Meeting Minutes

Friday, June 7, 2013

Opening

The meeting of the BPKSA was called to order at 12:32 pm on Friday, June 7, 2013 in AQ 5004 by Steven.

In attendance

  • Megan, Steven, Matt, Brent, Dora, Debbie, Joyce, Jason, Kirstin

Open Issues

  • Summer executive positions to fill in for those that cannot make meetings this semester
    • Joyce to fill in for Sandy as Forum Rep
      • Motion made by Steven
      • Seconded by Matt
      • Unanimously approved
  • Motion for Steven to be KIN UPC representative along with Joyce (Biomedical Physiology Rep) so that both undergraduate programs in the department could be represented at UPC meeting
    • Unanimously approved
    • Brent says re-writing of the constitution is necessary to make this new position an official exec position
  • Matt to fill in for Shaila as promotional co-ordinator
    • Motion made by Debbie
    • Seconded by Dora
    • Unanimously approved
  • Debbie to fill in for Lucy as external relations officer
    • Motion made by Steven
    • Seconded by Dora
    • Unanimously approved
  • Steven to make 1st rep position to connect first years to the BPKSA, especially with the high anticipation of new student turnout to BPKSA meeting after BPK orientation in the fall
    • Steven will address our constitution to add in KIN UPC rep and 1st rep as exec positions
    • BPK Orientation
      • Steven went to UPC meeting and the idea was well received by all
      • Chose Sept 11 for actual day of orientation. September 12th is the lab tour/Welcome back BBQ
      • Joyce will talk to Tom about lab tours. Brent will talk to Donelan’s grad students (locomotion lab). Cardiac physiology lab may be considered. Looking for 4 labs. Won’t be doing the 142 lab since students will be attending that lab during class.
      • At the UPC meeting, Tony and Craig agreed to allow students to be absent from their class to attend BPK orientation
      • Need to figure out which lecture halls to be booked, money issues, posters etc. before Darleen leaves for the summer
      • Will create orientation passport where stamps can be collected for credit.
        • Passport will contain:
        • different places where the students will be visiting
        • Tips for first year such as “How to be Academically Successful”.
        • Information about the professors.
        • Matt and Joyce will be in charge of the passport and will discuss with Darleen about the passport’s contents.
  • Predicted to be a 2-3 hour event for starting from 11:30AM Wednesday.
  • After tours will be information session and snacks.
  • Expenses include posters, souvenirs etc.
  • Need to find someone who is able to do designs
  • Joyce will bring up the idea of the orientation at the faculty meeting to get a better idea of what’s going to happen.
  • Need to figure out how students will register for orientation
    • Possibilities include:
    • Online
    • On club days, BPKSA will have a registration list as well.
    • Not just targeting just-out-of-high-school-students, but also transfer students to increase attendance and easier to contact students (since the email list doesn’t distinguish between transfer and high school students)
  • Kin cup was initially considered to be part of BPK orientation, but with the timing, it will be done on a different day.
  • Kin Cup will probably take place in mid-July (Wednesday?). Another Wings event is a possibility.
  • UPC meeting update
    • Craig likes the cohort idea. Maybe a cohort in the fall?
    • UPC will be changing their acronym from KIN to BPK. Not finalized, but will be there for the fall.

Adjournment

Meeting was adjourned at 1:32 pm by Steven. The next meeting will be at 12:30pm on Friday, June 14, 2013 in AQ 5004.

 

Leave a comment!